Monday, September 15, 2008

The Implications of Having a Large Family

In past generations having many children was an asset, rather than the liability that it seems to be today. Reliable, inexpensive, readily accessible birth control, high levels of education, the many opportunities available for women in the workforce, a shift in societal values, the increased cost of living, and many other factors have contributed to today's trend toward smaller families.

What many couples may not realize is that the same benefits that were created by a large family are still applicable today. Of the many potential bonuses (bonii?) of having a large family (which, apparently, is anything more than 2 children), there are these to consider:
  • Naming rights for several human beings...be creative, be indulgent, be classic...the choice is yours!
  • Increased odds of having a wealthy child to care and provide for you in your old age
  • Increased odds of having a child who likes you enough to care and provide for you in your old age
  • Hand-me-down toys, clothes, potty seats, bikes, and backpacks = it gets cheaper as your family grows! By child number 3, they won't even expect new stuff, ever!
  • More Mother's Day drawings, Christmas pipe cleaner crafts, and yard weeds presented as lovely floral gifts
  • Children will play and/or fight with each other, rather than demanding attention from you!
The most notable benefit is, of course, an increased capacity for child labor. Many children = many skill sets and much more available elbow grease.

I feel children are often overlooked and under-utilized when it comes to household maintenance. What infants and toddlers lack in thoroughness, they make up for in enthusiasm. They truly believe you when you tell them it's fun to scrub the floor.

Older children, when properly trained, are limited only by your imagination when it comes to chores and household tasks. A mom of older children should never have to vacuum. That's what *kids* are for!

Of course, shoddy workmanship is common with older children and teens who are no longer thrilled to be carrying in groceries or putting away folded clothes, but that is easily remedied. All a mom (or dad) must do is simply stop caring so much that things are done properly. Just don't look in your child's dresser or closet. Even better, don't check his room at all.

You could make them redo the task or continue to guide them in how to do it correctly, but that sounds an awful lot like work to me! And the point is to have children who work for YOU, not you for THEM. Mommyhood is a management position. Remember that!

And sure, this idea of childhood servitude could work for a small family, but to really realize the benefits, you need several children. Children with strong backs and long, wiry little arms that can really reach in behind stuff. That's what you need.

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Brandie,
If a blog is not the most perfect outlet for you, I don't know what is. As always, your thoughts, your wit and wisdom, and your perfectly eloquent creative writing skills moved me...the good parts of me anyway. I look forward to reading and re-reading your blogs. I love you, and am STILL putting baby girl items together for you. Please call me when you can...business talk, and girl talk. Belly rubs!!!!

Lisa

Dana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dana said...

You are fantastic. Thanks for making my morning shine a bit brighter! i have to second Lisa...you are a great blogger. I have several blogs that pale in comparison...maybe I should hire you to do the dirty work for me!

ps, Does this mean you are defecting from JoeU?

Jenny said...

Great work!! I can't wait to read your blog as new posts come!

Amy H. said...

Kids are fun aren't they? Sometimes I forget. It's been a struggle lately but I'm haning in. I'll add you to my blog list. ~smiles Amy

Anonymous said...

Brandi,

I'm bookmarking this page... Everything you write makes me smile. Your words fascinate me. I LOVE you!

Kelly G

Brandie said...

Lisa: Aww, thanks, you are so sweet!

I will call today. I need to do some housework first!

Dana: You're crazy girl! I love reading you and seeing your pics.

I was looking at your blogspot for your photography business and your work is incredible.

Not defecting yet, but considering it, LOL.

I think I will feel like posting more here.

Jenny: Thanks! Glad to "see" you here!

Amy: They're great most days, haha.

I really should give you a call. I am terrible about things like that.

Kelly: Aww, I love you long time!

Skull Jockey said...

That is a great pic of you sis!

Brandie said...

Thanks Jeremy! I always look better in B&W, LOL.

When are you guys heading home?

Peter said...

Great blog Brandie.

You know, when I was growing up, my mom always used to remind us, when we complained about doing chores, that work was the very reason we were born!

I remind my children that regularly, but they don't seem to appreciate it. ;)

Brandie said...

LOL, Peter...nice pic!

Your mom sounds like a wise woman!