Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Just Because I Suck, Doesn't Mean I'll Stop

Last weekend I convinced Adrian to take me to Hobby Lobby, which is like the 9th ring of hell for him, so I could pick out some fabric and ribbon to practice embellishments.

I picked up some cheap tees and pants at Target ($4 for jeans!), but when I got home I felt way too overwhelmed and intimidated to even get started. Adrian gave me some great advice. He encouraged me to start with the project I was least excited about, so that if it didn't turn out well I wouldn't feel so bad.

I started working on a Thanksgiving outfit. And I'm glad I started with Thanksgiving because I was pretty disappointed with how it turned out, and I would have been crushed if I had ruined a Halloween outfit.

It's not so bad that I won't let her wear it, but it's definitely over-busy and not well laid out. I am learning as I go.

Here is the "finished project" before I began stitching things on. Everything was attached mostly through iron on adhesive.



When Isabella saw it, she yelled "CUTE!!" and insisted on wearing it. I had a hard time convincing her to take the outfit off. I guess if she likes it, that's the most important thing!

She is really into clothes now. Funny for a 2 year old.





I think it needs something more near the collar or on the shoulder for a more balanced look. I dunno. At least it's only a Thanksgiving outfit. I will probably try to do a better Turkey Day outfit before then anyways. We usually do hand-print turkey tees with the kids' "thankful list" on the back, so I might just want to do a pair of Thanksgiving jeans.

We also took the kids to Toys 'R Us on Saturday, and it just so happened that Jeffrey was there:



Here's Orian enjoying some new toys:



Yesterday I decorated for Halloween. I was surprised by how much work it felt like, heh. I went through our Halloween box and threw away broken stuff and then put together a freebie box of decor and craft stuff we wouldn't use to post on CL.

I am trying to practice restraint and not buy a lot of new Halloween decorations. I really love Halloween and Target has the coolest stuff. I did buy a tablecloth and some dishtowels a couple weeks ago, but I am going to try not to buy anything else.

I need a string of orange lights to finish up the stair railing, and I will get that since it's only a couple bucks, but other than that, I'm going to use what I have.

Here's the new tablecloth:



Me using what I have, haha:



Cool new dishtowels:



I would love to do more outdoor decorating, but that's $$, so nope. Not happening. Isabella has her costume, Xavier is doing a mad scientist theme that will cost next to nothing, and Orian wants to be Anakin (Annakin?) Skywalker, which is like $40!

I have been watching on ebay but I don't think we're going to find it much cheaper. What is happening to the price of Halloween costumes? Seriously, 40 bucks?!?!

40 bucks times 4 kids = $160! Not happening. We have to nip this trend in the bud! I don't know whether to relent and get him the costume and maybe have him sell some toys to defray the cost or make him pick something else or help him try to make an Anakin costume with cheaper materials. Ugh.

Ok, I've got to get ready for my doctor's appointment. I really, really don't want to know how much I weigh. It's going to be a bad day. But I knew that already when Isabella was unwrapping tampons while I was taking a bath this morning. Awesome.

8 comments:

Peter said...

I agree with your assessment of the Thanksgiving outfit, though perhaps I would be a bit more kind. It is a bit busy though, but over all, it is cute. That coming from a man. Probably not an opinion you want to really consider.

Oh, and crafty type stores? Yes, 9th ring of Hell for sure.

Brandie said...

Peter: LOL, kindness is overrated.

Thanks for being nice, though!

I am hoping I eventually get this down and can make something decent. It's fun to try, at least!

Re: crafty type stores

Not only was he in Hobby Lobby, but he had a cart and 3 kids to manage while I flitted around looking at things. It was a very selfless gesture on his part!

Anonymous said...

Well aren't you all crafty and domestic? You are making the rest of us look bad Brandie! Knock it off already.

I love seeing your before/after embellishment pics. You are talented! I agree with your assessment that there may be too much going on, but they are really cute.

I looked at some embellished jeans on websites (old navy, gap, gymboree) and noticed that they typically only have one or two decorations on them, and they are usually near the calf/ankle.

Keep posting the pics. I love it!

Brandie said...

Lindy: LOL, calling me crafty is an insult to crafty people everywhere.

I think where I went wrong on this project (ok, well, one of the many ways in which I went wrong) is I had looked at these cute embellished Dr. Seuss jeans that were just covered in fabric patches, BUT that one was laid out better and just...I dunno...it worked.

I am not able to pull that off.

I think you are right about keeping things down near the calf and ankle. Although, the Gymboree and Gap, etc. stuff is always more tasteful and restrained than the stuff I've been looking at on ebay.

I think my tastes tend toward the garish. LOL.

After I finish stitching the Thanksgiving abomination I'll start on something that will hopefully look less like being punched in the face with a fistful of fabric and ribbons. Haha!

It's like I have crafting ADD and want to do EVERYTHING to whatever I'm working on. At least I didn't spray it with glitter! I did buy some glitter spray!

I am so laughing at myself right now.

Anonymous said...

I am laughing at you right now. I am picturing you sitting at your computer, pounding on the keys, looking for your next crafting fix. MUST.USE.SPRAY.GLITTER.

I really do like your projects so far. I always just buy stuff with fewer embellishments so I can mix/match it with more tops, so it isn't so outfit specific. But that is because the matching pieces would never be clean at the same time in my house.

Brandie said...

Lindizzle: I actually forgot I had glitter spray for a while. Something IS getting glitter-sprayed today. Most definitely.

For the Halloween stuff, if they turn out wearable, LOL, I'm going to do some mix-and-match. Hopefully.

I don't know why your laundry isn't always done up. It's not like you work or anything. Stop being a slacker, Lindy!

Amanda said...

Unwrapping tampons??? That's hilarious!!!

I think you could probably make an Anakin costume cheaper. Have you looked at the patterns at a fabric store?

I love your table! Makes me want to come eat with you again.

BTW I think the Thanksgiving outfit is cute! I do agree, maybe a little something near the top and maybe a few less things on the jeans next time. But like you said, it is most important that she likes it. But I do want you to feel proud when you tell people you made it. :) I'm impressed because I've never done anything like that.

Brandie said...

Amanda: I ended up finding the costume online at Target for slightly less and free shipping.

If I could sew I think I would have tried to sew up the pieces he needed because it's really not a complicated costume.

He's pitching in his allowance, so it's only costing mom and dad $20, which I think is pretty reasonable.

Re: the horrible Thanksgiving outfit

Thanks! A lot of love went into it, even if it IS awful, LOL!