Friday, September 19, 2008

Snack Blog

I knew toddlers needed to eat sometimes, but what I didn't know is that I should aim for 2 food groups at each of around 3 snacks a day (we currently just eat when hungry, with more structure for breakfast, lunch, and dinner). I am working on getting us out of our snack rut, and here are some of the ideas I found:

- shake made from yogurt and fruit
- yogurt + some fresh fruit
- cheese cubes + crackers (hopefully whole grain)
- muffin + orange wedges
- banana bread with cream cheese spread on top
- toast topped with peanut butter or fruit spread
- 2 graham crackers + fruit juice
- yogurt + 1/4 muffin
- 1/2 c. canned fruit + 1/2 oz cheese (or 2 or 3 crackers)
- graham crackers + cream cheese (or peanut butter)
- mini bagel + cream cheese
- small pancake + applesauce
- 1/2 waffle + cottage cheese
- sliced deli meat + fruit
- tuna + crackers
- avocado slices
- fruit + cheese cubes
- 1/2 grilled cheese sandwich
- 1/2 banana
- sliced boiled eggs

I didn't see My Little Pony fruit snacks on the list, LOL.

I think it would be cool to have a spinny thing or slide rule of some sort with all the foods so I could match them up. I guess that's over-complicating things, haha.

Anyone have any brilliant easy to do toddler snack ideas? I saw an idea for a cool treat that could be great for all ages, but it's not a healthy snack. Older kids could actually make their own for added fun. You take a fruit roll up and put prepared rice krispie treat in it down the length of the roll up and then lay a fruit vine or twizzler inside. Roll it up like a hand-roll and it's candy sushi!

It could be sliced to make maki, too.

I think you could make nigiri that way, also, with a shaped krispie treat for the rice base, maybe a Swedish fish for the topping, and then a strip of fruit roll up or fruit leather for the nori that wraps around it.

A bit of googling later, I have discovered that many moms have played around with the candy sushi idea, hence the photographic illustration of candy nigiri. I also discovered that someone on photobucket likes to take artsy/sexy pictures of articulated dolls. Weeeeeeiiiiiirrrrrrd.

And now I'M off for a snack!!

3 comments:

Zoo06 said...

Hmm...candy sushi. Oishii!

~Zoo

Peter said...

Candy sushi. I love the idea.

Brandie said...

Zoo: Sounds yummy, huh!

Peter: Me too. I don't have the stuff to make it right now, but I think we will have to try it out soon.