Monday, December 15, 2008

Have You Been Cleaning ALL Day?

We're watching Nick JR today and the Glade commercials are in heavy rotation. I actually really like the Glade cinnamon and apple candles (and the price is right), but the commercials for their new fabric spray is just wrong.

An impeccably dressed mom sees her family off in the morning. Hair done. Earrings in. Slacks and blouse. I'm pretty sure she was wearing shoes, too.

That's the first thing wrong with this commercial. Or maybe it's just me. But when I see my family off my hair is matted, I'm barefoot, and I have on pajama pants. I am so not getting all dressed up like I'm going to a PTA meeting before 7 am if I'm not actually going to a PTA meeting or something.

The commercial shows the mom spraying various surfaces with the Glade fabric spray...the couch, the carpet, the drapes, etc., and then she heads out for tennis and a fun meal with the girls, and other leisure activities.

Her family comes home and takes a big whiff and praises her for spending all day cleaning.

First, I want to know how spraying things with fragrance makes the house clean. Cleaning for me is vacuuming rice out of the rug, scrubbing crayon marks off the floor, washing, drying, folding, and putting away laundry, washing, drying, and putting away dishes, polishing furniture, making beds, scrubbing toilets, picking up toys and random crap off the floor and other surfaces, and on and on. All the while someone or someones go behind me and undo about half of what I've done.

If all I did was spray some crappy air freshener around, my family would come home and say, "This place is trashed. What did you do all day?"

Second, this is not the kind of commercial that is going to appeal to stay at home moms. We work. We can't relate to playing tennis and having leisurely margarita lunches because we're battling it out in the trenches with our dirty houses, grubby little children, and all the scheduling crap we have to handle.

Either the commercial family is fabulously rich, in which case, hire a maid, or mom needs a J-O-B.

And third, all this commercial does is reinforce society's idea that SAHMs are lazy and not doing anything all day.

So, good job, Glade. Way to be a douche. Now, I've got to go scrub some ravioli sauce out of the carpet. Or maybe I should just spray it with fabric spray and call it good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this. I am a SAHM of two under two, and let me tell you the Glade commercials are the worst! My husband sees them and says, "Now I know what you REALLY do all day!" Gah! Thanks a lot Glade.

Jenny said...

You are so funny. You couldn't be more right. I can barely get the dishes done and toilets clean and she is out and about... it's not reality... BUT you do remember the commercial so I guess they did something right! ;)

Skull Jockey said...

Should I get you some glade fabric spray for x-mas? :p

Kerrie McLoughlin said...

i have 2 favors to ask: please put the "followers" gadget on your blog so i can easily follow you and link to your blog from mine AND please keep writing! just found out i'm pregnant with #5 ... oh, the range of reactions! grrr! would love to get to know you! you sound a lot like me! i'm a travel widow much of the time (seems to work out that way every time i give birth!!) thanks!

http://thekerrieshow.blogspot.com
http://motherwriter.blogspot.com