Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My Wish List

I feel disorganized in planning and preparing for the new baby. One minute it seems urgent and the next I feel like it would be silly to begin preparing now.

I will be 35 weeks tomorrow. Two weeks until full term. Of course I have no doubt that Dahlia will give me a full 5+ weeks to prepare. I guess that's part of my hesitance. I don't want to get myself excited when I know I will likely go past 40 weeks.

And then there's Christmas. I feel like it's Christmas first, then baby. I don't want to start getting things set up and make it crowded during Christmas.

I did get the infant car seat out and scrub it down and wash the cover. It looks very nice. I will probably need to clean the stroller as well, but I don't forsee using it a lot. It is just too bulky. I will probably wear Dahlia in the Moby Wrap on most outings. I was serious about getting a double stroller for a while (and a generous friend offered to gift me with one her children had outgrown), but I don't see why I can't use the umbrella stroller for Isabella and the Moby Wrap for Dahlia. I think that will work.

So many things I realize are wants or "nice to haves" but not really must-haves, so I have to keep reminding myself of that.

A big thank you goes out to Angela Marie for sending me just a ton of adorable baby girl clothes. She included everything from sleepers and onesies to fancy dresses and two piece outfits and in all sizes. I am terrible with thank you notes, but I am very appreciative for her thoughtfulness and generosity. Dahlia's dresser is F-U-L-L!

Adrian told me last night I should make a list of baby needs/wants to help me focus and not feel so worried and unprepared, so here's my list:

1. I need to pick up diapers. Seems premature just yet. But after Christmas I'll grab some Pampers Swaddlers in NB. We have wipes, but I think I will switch back to Sensitive instead of Baby Fresh.

2. Alcohol swabs for umbilical cord care.

3. I need to check on my breast pump and make sure it is fully functional and super clean. I don't think I have any bottles, so I might pick up one or two.

4. Breast milk storage bags and Lansinoh.

5. We are not sure if we will do pacis or not. I got a couple to stick in Dahlia's stocking (yes, she has one!). We'll see if she likes them or not.

6. Bassinette sheets. I can never spell bassinette correctly. I have a few, but I think more would be better.

7. Along those lines, probably a few more blankies. Or not. I still have Isabella's blankies, but it's cold here and it wasn't cold in Hawaii, so more might be better.

8. Waterproof pad for the bassinette.

9. Baby book. That's a want.

10. I have a baby bathtub, and just need to scrub and sanitize it.

11. Baby wash cloths. Probably don't need. Can probably wash her with regular wash cloths. I have a few baby towels too. Maybe a couple more would be good. I can't remember, but I think I did actually use those with Isabella.

I am going to be washing so much laundry.

12. I have a mini-swing and a bouncer. I just need to check them out and make sure they're very clean.

13. I have 2 bassinettes. They need to be cleaned and assembled. Actually I think I only need one. I won't need one upstairs, so it would overkill to set up 2 downstairs. They are very portable.

14. Here is the bassinette I want. This is not really a part of the list, haha, but I think it deserves a number nonetheless. I don't know if anyone else has ever seen one of these, but it's freaking sweet. And it costs as much as a nice piece of furniture.

Behold the Fisher Price Zen Collection Glider Bassinet:



Is that sexy or what?

15. Diaper bag. I have the "breastfeeding diaper bag" the formula company gave me at the hospital after I had Isabella (ha!), but I am so not going to use that. I think a backpack type diaper bag would be the most convenient. I have expensive tastes in diaper bags, but I realize a bag is a bag is a bag.

GAP had one that was not too insanely priced and had lots of great features but I don't see it on their site anymore. I guess any backpack could work. I won't have a lot to carry, really...diapers, wipes, diaper sacks, some extra clothing, snacks for Isabella...my wallet...what else, really? We are kind of low-key.

16. This is a want. A full-size swing. There's really no *need* for anything but mommy or daddy's arms, but realistically, with a toddler and two growing boys, there are going to be times I wish I had a swing.

Isabella broke hers so there's not a hand-me-down one. I do have the mini-swing although I have concerns that Isabella will be sitting on Dahlia in that one, haha.

I could find a cheap one, but I have a very specific one in mind. Adrian says I can have it if I can come up with half of the cost of it. It's the Graco Sweet Peace Soother. I guess it's technically not a swing. But it has great reviews and incredible features.

Part of me knows it's superfluous and part of me just wants it.



My other unneccessary want is a co-sleeper or an Amby hammock, but I do realize it could get seriously ridiculous with so much gear in the house.

So, I guess the list of "needs" is pretty short:

- diapers
- wipes
- alcohol swabs
- breastmilk storage bags
- waterproof bassinet pads and possibly a bassinet sheet or two
- some sort of diaper bag or backpack

Items that are wants but that I'll probably get:

- baby book
- some extra blankets
- extra wash cloths and baby towels

Maybe, maybe, maybe - Graco Sweet Peace Infant Soother

I don't know if I'm forgetting something important. I probably am! Although, the bare essentials are really a car seat, a pair of breasts (I guess just one could be ok, too, LOL), and a few warm clothes. And I've got those things. Oh yeah, diapers. I don't know if that counts as a need universally, but it does at my house.

I don't think I feel any more organized.

Ooooh my other want is an exercise ball for labor. I used to have one but it didn't make the move. See. Not organized.

As a little side note, I read a poem in my HynoBirthing book last night that really, really touched me and I wanted to share it, and I figure this is as good a place as any.

Please, Mom and Dad...

My hands are small. I don't mean to spill my milk,
My legs are short -- please slow down so I can keep up.
Don't slap my hands when I touch something bright and pretty. I don't understand.
Please look at me when I talk to you. It lets me know you are really listening.
My feelings are tender -- don't nag me all day. Let me make mistakes without feeling stupid.
Don't expect the bed I make or the picture I draw to be perfect. Just love me for trying.
Remember, I am a child and not a small adult. Sometimes I don't understand what you're saying.
I love you so much. Please love me just for being myself, not for the the things I can do.

-- Author Unknown

I don't know if it's hormones or what, but I can't read that without crying!

4 comments:

JAPierce said...

If it's hormones, then I may be pregnant too! Thanks for sharing the poem! Love ya!

JP

JAPierce said...

It's snowing!!!!!!

Skull Jockey said...

Bumate, eh? With a wintry mix you could have a good 'ol frosty bumate! (all said with a distinctive Canadian accent). : )

Angela said...

Oh, I'm just now seeing this. You're welcome! I'm glad you got the stuff. And really it was easy, what a load off April's closet! It all originally came from dharmagirl, foreverserenity, Dana, and three other friends. Aren't people great???

I'm going to print out that "dear mommy & daddy" letter. Gonna hang it on the fridge. That's good stuff :)