Thursday, October 23, 2008

Circuit City, You Kinda Suck!

I have a serious problem with laptop cords. Adrian is inclined to believe it's just me, but I suspect it's a wider problem plaguing many laptop users.

Regardless, the last time my laptop cord died (the interchangeable piece that snaps into the power port on the laptop stopped conveying power), I ordered a cheap-o cord on ebay.

You guys may not know this, but laptop cords are expensive, y'all.

Within 20 minutes of use, the obviously inferior quality interchangeable piece on THAT cord broke. The metal prongs that connect the interchangeable piece to the power cord simply snapped.

I emailed the ebay store that sold the cord and like 5 days later they sent me a new, fresh box of interchangeable pieces. And about 5 days later, the metal prongs snapped.

I don't do anything unusual with my laptop. I promise. Laptop cords are apparently just not made to handle my computing needs!

First, I set up the old desktop computer which did NOT work, then I dug through a closet and found the laptop's original cord. The problem with *that* one was the wiring was exposed on a small part of the cord and it threw off sparks and made crackling sounds. I did a surgically excellent job covering the exposed wire with electrical tape.

That worked for about a day, then the power element stopped working.

So, here's where the suckitude of Circuit City comes in.

I have bought laptop cords from Best Buy. They sell Targus. Targus laptop cords' battery elements go out easily, and the selection available at Best Buy is not incredible. So, brilliant solution, go to Circuit City!

Adrian sacrificed his lunch to run me out there. The Circuit City is on the outskirts of the fancy new Harker Heights in a big, impressive new building, right next to very-useful Dick's Sporting Goods (seriously, who shops there?).

When I walked in I noticed a distinct lack of...what's that word? Oh yeah, customers!

The door greeter asked if we needed help finding anything (which as it turns out, meant, "Can I help you find anything by standing in this spot and not moving?"). When we said laptop cords, she asked what kind.

Suck number one.

How many kinds of laptop cords are there? Um, there's power cords, and...give me a minute...

...

and

...

power cords, yeah, that about covers it.

Adrian said maybe she meant USB cords or something. Only problem with that is...USB cords aren't "laptop cords"...they're USB CORDS.

And don't give me the excuse that she might have meant what kind of features or brand I was looking for because Circuit City here sells ONE BRAND of laptop power cord and it comes in two kinds: you plug it into the wall or you plug it into the wall and you get a car adapter too.

She pointed us in a general direction and we headed over there. The employee-on-the-floor-to-customer ratio was about 10 to 3 (3 being me, Adrian, and Isabella).

As we browsed, a guy with cornrows took a break from playing at the Guitar Hero display station to ask us if we needed help. "Do you have any other laptop cords available?"

No. No, they don't.

I grabbed the Kensington that only goes into the wall since I don't use my laptop in the car. This cord is $109. OUCH. I would have put off the purchase, but I make money using the computer and so I can't really earn money to buy a laptop cord if I don't have a laptop cord.

When we checked out, I asked the clerk if a warranty plan was available. She checked and told me no, nothing was coming up. A low-level manager type meandered toward the check out counter from an office behind the counter and she asked him.

He informed me that no, they don't have anything like that.

That's Suck Number Two.

I then asked how long I would have to return or exchange it if it didn't work properly. 14 days. Yes, 14 days. So, I am buying this cord that only has to work for 14 days for $109.

Suck Number Three.

I told him I had a lot of problems with laptop cords not lasting with power elements going out and especially with the interchangeable pieces not working after only a few months of use.

He conceded that laptop cords don't last long and are a problem for a lot of users, but a lot of people will bring them in and try to scam them by getting their money back on a cord they've used, or something like that.

14 days, AND there's a 15% restocking fee.

Suck Number Four.

"Really?", I asked. I could hardly believe that not only did I only have 14 days to discover if this cord was going to actually work and not have problems, but the moment I purchased it, I would be liable for a 15% restocking fee if it didn't work. And I was not even being given the option of paying more for a warranty or product protection plan.

I said, "Wow, you guys kinda suck."

He didn't like that.

"It's standard industry practice," he informed me as he puffed up at the criticism.

"I have bought cords from Best Buy and needed to return them, and I have never had to pay a restocking fee. They allow a lot longer than 14 days for returns and exchanges, too."

"Standard industry practice. I used to work at Best Buy. It's how they do it, too."

It may be "standard industry practice", but I've NEVER had Best Buy do that to me, and I've had to do exchanges several times (laptop cord problems!!). I told the guy so, and he argued with me about it. Ha.

Adrian later said he thought the guy was crazy for arguing with a customer, and especially a PREGNANT WOMAN. He didn't realize how much danger he was in.

He further suggested that instead of buying new cords, I just get a new laptop. This laptop was muy expensive ($1800, custom built) and I can't just replace it instead of buying a cord.

Circuit City middle manager scoffed and asked how old my laptop was...I told him close to 2 years..."You could get a better one for $400 now".

Somehow I doubt that.

Recommending I buy a $400 laptop instead of a new power cord, Suck Number Five.

I did end up buying the stupid thing because I have to have a power cord. I hope it doesn't stop working on the 15th day. If it does, someone in my family is getting a broken laptop cord for Christmas.

Circuit City, you kinda suck. Kinda suck a lot.

2 comments:

Skull Jockey said...

Man, CC does suck! That's ridiculous, arguing with a customer! Are you freaking kidding me? You should have asked to see if the cord worked right then, then proceed to show the manager the best place to plug it in! Ha!
$109! Wow. I didn't realize they were that expensive. Intense. If it stops working on the 15th day (knowing CC it's programed to self destruct on the 15th day after purchase), you should take it back and tell them that you are going to give birth right in the middle of the store unless that give you a new one. That's power! : )

Amanda said...

It better not be me who gets the cord. :)