Sunday, October 19, 2008

I Have Lots of Clothes...They're Just Soggy and Wrinkled

Wow, I haven't posted in a week!!

This week we:

a) Sorted out the bully problem. Turns out my children aren't perfect angels. THAT was certainly a surprise (not).

b) Made a really fun book at Bumble Bee Book Club.

c) Discovered something is not right with the dryer. Clothes aren't getting completely dry. I thought there was no heat, but turns out there is at least some heat. Checked the circuit box as per the manual and everything is ok. No obstructions in the vent. Next I checked for user error, but that's not panning out, either.

At least it's still under warranty.

d) Had a great big score at Old Navy, The Children's Place, and Goodwill. Are you wondering if it was in budget? The answer is no. No, no, no. I am awful at this.

But, I did get some amazing bargains. Dresses, onesies, and tops for $2-3. Goodwill also had 15% military appreciation discount. Dahlia won't have to go naked after all.

I found some size 12 slacks for Xavier since he has gotten too tall for all his school pants. Got a couple pair on clearance at Old Navy (or TCP?) and Goodwill had a pair of Izods, BRAND NEW, for $5.99 plus the 15% discount.

e) Thursday night I had a Natural Childbirth meeting and it was fun and informative as always. It's a small group, but it always feels so great to get out of the house, and bonus that I get to chat with and learn from other women!

f) Mom is visiting this weekend and it's been a nice visit. The boys love when grandma comes to visit.

g) I am up to $316 in the Christmas fund. I've got more $ pending, but I won't count it until it's in-hand.

Here's the outfit I worked on for Isabella last weekend:





The boys eating Witch Hat cookies:



Fudge-striped cookies + chocolate frosting "glue" + Hershey's Kisses:



What's the opposite of "cheese"?



Today we made pumpkin bats and it was a pretty fun project. I spray-painted the bats with black spray paint yesterday and today Adrian, the kids, and I painted faces and other details on our bats. Wooden skewers secured to craft foam sheet cut-outs with electrical tape made the wings.



I made the one on the left, but it's Isabella's. Orian's is on the right. I took a really great picture of it but my camera ate it. Weird. His pumpkin doesn't have wings, but a nice Dracula cape instead:



Adrian's pumpkin:



Xavier's pumpkin has lots of details on all sides:



Here's the one I made:



I think making bats was more fun than painting the big pumpkins like we usually do.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm glad you have had a good serious of days lately! :) The pumpkins are really cute. You are so creative. I wish we lived closer so we could share in the fun. I can't wait to be together at Thanksgiving.

Skull Jockey said...

Ummmm.....melty yummy witch hats...arghh......(all done in quaint Homer fashion).

Man, I wish I was as creative as yous guys. Those bats look awesome. Love the anti-cheese look as well! That was great!

Yeah, I will try to give you a call this week sometime. It may be as late as Thursday, but perhaps sooner.

Hows the writing going?

Angela said...

I can't believe I stumbled upon your blog by randomly clicking people's links. The ubiquitous Brandie!

"What's the opposite of cheese?"

HAHAHAHA!!

I wish I had half a clue how to see the world as brightly and wittily as you do. So I'll just continue to enjoy life vicariously through you :)

P.S. When you mentioned the Natural Birthing class it brought to mind something I read a couple days ago: I learned about a repressed human instinct of eating one's placenta. Blech. But I hear it's pretty healthy. That's natural birthing to the max! I'm not implying or suggesting anything to you, just a random thought. Gross. Some people fry it with onions, but I think that would strip the nutrients. Witch hats sound a lot tastier.